Butterfly Cauldron

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

But...he's the reason for the season, see?

This story just kinda makes me laugh. Because, hello, didn't they realize a state-affiliated organization could not accept explicitly religious gifts?

LOS ANGELES - A company that sells Bible-quoting Jesus dolls said it was surprised and disappointed that the Marine Reserves’ Toys for Tots program turned down its offer to donate 4,000 of the talking dolls.

“I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible,” said Michael La Roe, director of business development for Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co. and its one2believe division, which makes the line of Bible character dolls.


Full story located here. Take a look at those dolls. Can you just imagine getting one of those for Christmas as a little kid? Come on.

And, of course, he assumes everyone could use one of these dolls. Because, hey, every little Jewish boy wants a Talking Jesus for Haunakkah, no? (Forgive me if I misspell, I'm a little in pain tonight.) And I know my little pagan children, should I have them, would just adore one of these. Of course, they'd probably be getting them from their grandparents. *sigh*

What gets me is, this isn't a privately run toy drive. Because I can understand, if a church is collecting, that you kinda expect things of the Christian variety. Okay. Makes sense. But Christians aren't the only people who celebrate a holiday this time of year, and the military isn't going to just give toys to Christian children.

Everytime one of these things happens, I ask myself -- when they're so astonished not everyone would want one of their religious gifts -- what these people would do if I gave their kids My First Goddess dolls.
posted by Zan at 5:46 PM

2 Comments:

Ooh, I want a My First Goddess doll! Your poor parents, hoping to save the Zanbabes' souls.

I didn't realize the toys weren't just for Xmas.

It's the nonChristians who need Jesus the most!

7:31 PM  

What jerks they were to run tattling to the press.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home