Butterfly Cauldron

Friday, October 20, 2006

This is how you respond to rumors about your sexuality

Clay Aiken? I'm looking at you. The next time someone asks you about being gay or not, follow this example:

NEW YORK (AP) — “Grey’s Anatomy” star T.R. Knight says he’s gay, but hopes people don’t consider that “the most interesting part of me.”
The 33-year-old actor addressed rumors of his sexuality in a statement to People magazine Thursday.
“I guess there have been a few questions about my sexuality, and I’d like to quiet any unnecessary rumors that may be out there,” Knight’s statement read. “While I prefer to keep my personal life private, I hope the fact that I’m gay isn’t the most interesting part of me.”
Knight plays Dr. George O’Malley on the popular ABC drama. A former stage actor, his television credits also include “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and “Law & Order: Criminal Intent.”
Knight’s “Grey’s Anatomy” character, a bumbling, puppy-eyed surgeon, has long been in love with Dr. Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo).


See? Simple, direct, answers the question and puts the issue to rest. If you're gay, say so. If you're not, say so. Done. Over with. And frankly, classy.
posted by Zan at 12:27 PM

5 Comments:

That was classy.

But I hate when straight people, especially when playing gay roles, say they're not gay. I think it would help if they didn't answer because whomever's asking wants them to be straight. It's okay to play gay, but not to be gay. And I especially despise any follow-up to the assurance of heterosexuality, because it always sounds like "Not that there's anything wrong with that." And that's just wrong.

3:39 PM  

so when Clay says for 3 years everytime he's asked that he's not gay. he's not believed and constantly harrassed about it. so now he says screw it, I see his point. people won't believe him no matter what he's said. unless he says yes, people won't leave him alone....so he's just says forget it.

4:49 PM  

why is Clay never given the benefit of the doubt? he's said he isn't when asked, this guy says he is. we believe one but not the other. why?

4:51 PM  

This is why I think Clay has a problem -- he denies, yes, but he seems more than a little uncomfortable when he does it. Me, I don't know if he's gay or not. He says he's not, and he's the one who would know, so fine. He's not. But he always gives off this air of...uncertainty.

Which I think has a lot to do with the fact that he's Southern, frankly. We don't talk about sexuality as a rule, much less with strangers. And we never want to upset anyone, so we don't want to say something that will give people the impression we think there's something wrong with how they live...Those of us who aren't rednecks, anyway :)

If Clay wants the question to go away, he should simply refuse to address it. If someone asks him, say he's already addressed that issue and move on. None of this uncomfortable unease. Just say no comment and move on.

5:31 PM  

isn't that what he's been doing? O larry King he said just that. I think it was "i've answered it before.." and " I'm not gonna answer anymore." I guess I can't see why people continue. For 3 years already, if he says he's not why is not believed? interesting, at least to me.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home