Butterfly Cauldron

Friday, October 06, 2006

Five things I got from feminism

Danke Belledame, for tagging me. I love memes. Shhh. Don't tell, it'll ruin my rep :)

1. I can own property. In fact, I do own some, as part of a sorta family-trust, on the many, many acres of farmland I grew up on. I doubt I'll ever do anything with it, but I can and do own it free and clear, all in my own name.

2. I have an education. Not only was I allowed to learn to read and write, but no one blinked when I applied to college, nor again when I went on for my Masters.

3. I (for the moment) control my own fertility. I have no children because I haven't ever wanted children. I have multiple birth control options, all of which I can obtain legally and (reasonally) affordably from a doctor who won't question my right to have and use them.

4. I have a job. No one looks at me and says "Why don't you just let your husband pay the bills?" No one accuses me of taking a job from a man with a family to support.

5. I can pick my own spouse. Should I choose to marry, no one but me gets to decide who I marry. I cannot be compelled to marry someone of my father's choosing, nor to marry to bring property into the family. Any husband of mine will be a man I want, not someone I have to take. (Although, should I decide I want a wife, I'm gonna have to move to Mass. or Canada. Which may not be such a bad option for me....)

Labels: , ,

posted by Zan at 6:04 PM

3 Comments:

When you did your last one, I was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't the only post filed under "Fun."

Farmland: Commune! Or Worship Zan Site.

7:07 PM  

Hey, I'm all about fun, baby. Or you know, being worshipped ;)

7:56 AM  

Ah, then excuse me while I dust off the votive candles.


Word verification: zlxfu
What do you make of that?

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home