Butterfly Cauldron

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer always gets me down

And so, it shouldn't surprise me that I'm depressed on the solstice. Longest day of the year and all that. Welcoming in the summer. But summer always makes me sad. All the sunshine, all the heat, all the seeming pointlessness of it all. Summer triggers numerous Lupus and fibro flares, leaving me in lots of pain for months on end. And so....

I haven't posted much lately because I've been feeling a bit down. Surprise. There are things I want to talk about too. Like my state just signed into law a truly draconian abortion law. And there's that whole blowjob thing going on thanks to Twisty. (For the record, I don't like 'em so I don't do 'em. Your mileage my vary. I don't get off much on judging what consenting adults do, so if ya like 'em, more power to ya. I will, however, be posting a bit about power imbalances in relationships. As soon as this blue funk passes.) Then there's a followup to the bit about the Wiccan soldier getting a pentagram on his tomb. I've got that article here somewhere. Has some nice quotes from some Christian orgs that I wanted to talk about. Mostly though, I just want to come home from work, curl up in bed, eat ice cream and sleep. Which is what happens to me in the summer, because I'm just exhausted all the time.

I just started a new anti-depressant that I really love. (Oh yeah. There's that post about depression over at Pandagon I wanted to talk about. See? I'm reading lots. Just can't seem to get myself motivated to post about it. Yet.) If you're looking for a good AD, I recommend Cymbalta with no reservations. It's totally quashed the numbness/pins-and-needles in my hands and legs from the periphial neuropathy my Lupus has caused. Which is totally awesome. So, I'm sure I'll feel better in a few days. Just right now...not so much.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Zan at 6:24 PM

9 Comments:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! :( I'm glad I'm not the only one who freakin' hates summer time. I just hate it for different reasons, like the fuckin' humidity. Living in the South during the summer SUUUUUUCKS! But seeing as how you live in Louisiana you may not consider Kentucky to to be the South :P

Anyway, I always enjoy your posts... so feel better soon so I have more good stuffs to read!

4:00 PM  

No no! Kentucky is definately Southern. Those people who want to claim, oh I don't know, fucking Maryland!! as Southern? HA. Right.

The humidity is trying to kill me. It's already in the 90s and it's only JUNE? Our heat index has been in the low 100s lately. And it's ONLY JUNE. Arg.!

I called in sick today and went to see my physical therapist, trying to keep my joints from swelling and locking up. Grr.

4:18 PM  

Man. I feel for you. I really do. Poor thing! :(

As much as I love the South (particularly like Savannah, Georgia... SOOOOO beautiful there) I don't think I could live any further South than I do now. There's enough conservativism up here and plus the humidity... ugh. Too much oppression, from the people and the weather, hahaha.

4:26 PM  

Tell me about it! I'm trying very hard to get OUT of this place....I just need one of my many job applications to say yes :)

4:42 PM  

Where are you trying to relocate to?

5:50 PM  

Some place cooler. I'd like to run away to California, but that's not looking too possible. I'm not opposed to staying in the South, just you know, not a state as Third World as Louisiana. I've got a Master's degree and...eh, almost nine years work experience. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to get out of here....

7:15 AM  

God, California would be wonderful. I definetly left my heart in San Francisco.

11:07 PM  

I'd like to FIND my heart in San Franciso..:)

9:31 AM  

Hey, just chiming in late to say that summers are bad for me depression-wise, too, at least ever since i came out to the sticky East Coast (and particularly crazy-making and often A.C.-free New York). and am really happy fall's kicking in.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home